2 results for tag: St. Joseph Church
St. Joseph Roman Catholic Church was initially built in order to accommodate the religious needs of the Irish immigrant population. The first church was a small wooden structure built on Queen Street in 1855. It was later remodeled. St. Joseph was a mission of St. Mary’s of New Britain until it became an independent parish in 1864. The present English Gothic granite church was dedicated in 1925.
This image shows the original St. Joseph Roman Catholic Church, rectory, convent and school. All these structures, except the church, were built in 1901-02. The Federal Hill Green can be viewed to the west of these buildings.