6 results for tag: industry
Albert and Edward Rockwell founded the New Departure Bell Company in 1888. It was located in one room of the H.C. Thompson Clock Company on Federal Street. The Bell Shop later moved to North Main Street. The New Departure Company grew extensively and diversified to produce automobiles, bicycle coaster brakes and a variety of bearings.
The Dunbar Brothers Company was located on South Street. Originally owned by Edward L. Dunbar, it was later passed down to his three sons Edward B., William and Winthrop Dunbar. Founded circa 1845 Dunbar’s produced clock springs and later a variety of other springs. The Dunbar Company later merged into the Wallace Barnes Company.
The Wallace Barnes Company founded circa 1857 was located on Main Street. Its early production included crinoline hoops, clock springs and a variety of other springs. The company later became known as The Associated Spring Corporation.
Edward Rockwell founded the Bristol Bell Company in 1898 as a competitor to the New Departure Bell Company. The name was changed to the Liberty Bell Company a year later. It was absorbed by the New Departure Company in 1905. This company was located on the south side of the Pequabuck River near the intersection of Riverside Avenue and Downs Street.
The Sessions Foundry originally located on Laurel Street was founded in 1879 by John Humphrey Sessions and his son William. It moved to Farmington Avenue in 1894. This company did general forging and casting work and was located on today’s site of Bristol Commons.
The E. Ingraham Clock Company located on the east side of North Main Street was founded in 1859 by Elias Ingraham and his son, Edward. This building was constructed in 1884. Ingraham was a world-class producer of a variety of clocks and watches. It was later sold to McGraw-Edison and relocated to Redstone Hill Road during city redevelopment. It was known as the Bussman Division.