3 results for tag: Federal Hill
St. Joseph Roman Catholic Church was initially built in order to accommodate the religious needs of the Irish immigrant population. The first church was a small wooden structure built on Queen Street in 1855. It was later remodeled. St. Joseph was a mission of St. Mary’s of New Britain until it became an independent parish in 1864. The present English Gothic granite church was dedicated in 1925.
This image shows the original St. Joseph Roman Catholic Church, rectory, convent and school. All these structures, except the church, were built in 1901-02. The Federal Hill Green can be viewed to the west of these buildings.
The Congregational faith was the established religion in the New Cambridge Ecclesiastical Society, which was formed in 1744. The geographic center of the society’s land was selected for the construction of its first meeting house, which was built in 1747. This area would be known as the Federal Hill Green. A larger meetinghouse was built in the 1770’s. The image pictured is the third meeting house built in 1832. This building is still used for services.