44 results for author: paula
The first German Lutheran Church in Bristol was organized in 1894. A small church was constructed on “Root’s Island” (today’s Brackett Park). It was enlarged and moved to School Street in 1896. The image shown is the Immanuel Lutheran Church on Meadow Street, constructed in 1907. The congregation built a school in 1924.
The Congregational faith was the established religion in the New Cambridge Ecclesiastical Society, which was formed in 1744. The geographic center of the society’s land was selected for the construction of its first meeting house, which was built in 1747. This area would be known as the Federal Hill Green. A larger meetinghouse was built in the 1770’s. The image pictured is the third meeting house built in 1832. This building is still used for services.
The Baptist religion is the second longest continuous religion in Bristol. Organized in 1791 in the outskirts of Bristol, its early history includes stories of witchcraft and demonic possession. The image pictured is the Bristol Baptist Church built in 1890 at the corner of School and Church Streets. Its spire was struck by lightning and had to be removed. This church was replaced by a new edifice circa 1969.
The Advent Christian Church was organized in 1858. After holding services for over twenty years at a variety of business halls, beginning in1880, they leased and eventually bought the old Methodist Episcopal Church on West Street. The church was destroyed by fire in 1890. The church pictured was built at the same location and was dedicated in 1891.